Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Broadcom Wireless Cards: Revisited

I mentioned before that my broadcom wireless card was malfunctioning with Vista: well it looks like I finally fixed it for good. It had been coming on and disappearing, yes, disappearing completely, from my computer. But I finally found something that seemed to work. First, I used the Device Manager to disable the Afterburner thingy, then I set the AP something-or-other mode to 'broader compatibility' instead of 'higher performance.' Then I uninstalled the card and reinstalled it using the setup files I found here (which must be unpacked first, and then installed from the SwSetup folder where they automatically get extracted to.) I'm not sure whether the disabling or the re-install did the trick, or both, but it works every single time I come out of sleep mode. I have yet to test it on a restart :/
So if you have the same vista/broadcom problem as I did, or think you do, just comment or ask. If this works for you, let me know as well!

Update: I have the Broadcom Wireless 802.11 b/g even though this installer is for 802.11 i, but try it anyway, it worked for me!

Another Update: Nope, after a restart, this didn't work after all. But it might just work for you, if not, bicker about it to HP and hopefully they'll help. I may just have to do that.

No comments: